I know when I write it helps me to clarify my ideas and the feedback and discussions posts generate move me to a higher level of understanding. It is a place where I grow.
So why haven't I blogged?
Possible reasons include:
- "I'm always too busy", but that is just a copout. I was busy when I was blogging previously, but am I underestimating the impact of an increased work stress and absorption
- Many of my current ideas and arguments are too new and immature to bring to an audience. But blogging I find helps to fast track these ideas.
- I require a high level of energy reserve and confidence to hang an idea out to be critiqued, to take on criticism or just use feedback to modify and adjust my idea or thinking
- Writing doesn't come easily to me. I've always had ideas (I'm a good dreamer), but struggle to quickly put these into a clear written argument (I wasn't an English person). So moving an idea to writing takes me time to both finish the dreaming and then to write, edit and rewrite.
So, what can I do?
I need to:
- Decide if it is important for me to blog
- Follow what I say to students "You need be comfortable at being uncomfortable". I'm going to uncomfortable with putting a post out, I need to embrace this and just do it
- Allocate the time to think and write
- Share this goal with people who can coach me through my struggles and hold me to them.