My College ran two Vivid Ideas events, a “Creative Industries Careers Day” on Saturday 4 June and a “Creativity in Education” Seminar at the Museum of Contemporary Art on Friday 4 June. In between I attended and presented at the Education Nation conference at Luna Park on 7-8 June on “Is school preparing students for life after the HSC”. You can see my presentation here.
Over the next week, I will reflect and blog about these events, some of my overall reflections include:
- Enterprise skills including creativity are being increasingly valued by industry, but the challenge for schools is they don’t (always) increase your HSC mark
- People from industry are happy to give their time to support both teachers and students
- Education seems to be at a point of change and I am interested to see in the future what technologies and processes will disrupt the current education “system”
- Student engagement is one of the keys to learning
- You need to be "in the game" if you want to learn/get a job/be engaged
A couple areas I am interested in learning more about include:
- Teacher (and student) agency
- Coaching of staff
- Network management
- How to engage students through creativity
If you attended any of these events I would love to know what you gained from them.