For the workshop I created a mindmap (using the software Freemind on a DER laptop) to try to group and link the technologies. I then used a data projector to show the mindmap and the workshop was driven by teacher discussion and questions as we looked at different sections of the mindmap.
Two questions I asked teachers to think about during the workshop were
- "What are students using already?"
- "How can I use familiar and unfamiliar technologies to engage students?"
The categories I included in the mindmap were:
Technology Lingo to Know, including:
* social media (twitter, facebook, google+)
* Learning management systems (LMS) including Edmodo, Moodle, Sakai
* QR codes
Teaching and Learning Trends, including
* Games Based Learning (GBL)
* Project (Problem) Based Learning (PBL)
* Flipping the classroom
* Learning Analytics
* Mobile Learning
How are Teachers Using it, including
* Personal Learning Network (PLN), developed using
- Social networks such as Twitter
- Blogs: Pinterest, Tumblr
* Sharing resources
iPads (We had recently purchased a set of Ipads)
* Strengths: Engaging, intuitive
SCIL (Sydney Centre for Innovation in Learning). Some staff had attended a professional development "Going Mobile"
I would love to hear about technologies we missed. I am also happy to share the raw mindmap file if you wish to modify it.