After the recent farewell assembly for our Year 12 students, I was thinking about the best practical advice to give students to help them in the work place or when dealing with new situations.
Here are some of the socially smoothing phrases that I thought students should consider when responding to situations or tasks:
- thank you
- excuse me (all of which I hope are already automatic)
- I'm not sure but I'll give it a go
- yes, I can do that, but I might need to ask some questions if that's ok
- sorry, I missed that, could you go through that again?
- I don't know but I'll try to find out for you
- I've never done that before, would you be able to show me please?
What other responses could students use to help them through new situations after leaving school?